Image hosting by Photobucket Image hosting by Photobucket

Note:

Names of people I know have been changed to respect the privacy of those involved. Unless they say it's okay, or I see elsewhere.

Monday, March 21, 2005

Happy birthday to my stake!

Our stake celebrated our 25th anniversary this weekend with a variety show on Saturday night (which I missed because I was at a friend's wedding reception), and a fireside last night.
Our stake was organized on 16 March 1980. We have had four Stake Presidents since then, including the current one, and all but the last one were present at last night's festivities. I had never met Vern, the first SP, only heard of him, until last night. George, the second SP is in my ward, Denny, the third SP has moved (to Utah?), and Dave, the current SP grew up with my parents and my sister's mother-in-law. Both stake patriarchs were also present. Fred served for 24 years in the position (my SIL was his first blessing), and John has been there for almost a year. All six men were presented with different tokens of esteem to commemorate the 25th anniversary.
We were told to get there half an hour early to see a slide of different people and events from the past 25 years. I got there two minutes late and missed seeing a picture of my dad's family, but I did see some people I knew. The main piece of the program was a 25th Birthday Tribute to the SP's and a brief history of the stake.
Dave presented us yet again with a challenge to read the Book of Mormon in 90 days. We did this last year for the 25th anniversary of the dedication of the stake center. Mira and I tried, but we didn't succeed, as we had trouble remembering and staying on track. I'm going to do it myself, along with our regular reading of the BoM.
Not only are we celebrating the 25th anniversary of the founding of the stake, but also the 200th anniversary of Joseph Smith's birth, and the 175th anniversary of the organization of the church and the first printing of the Book of Mormon. Not only are we going to read it as a stake, but in honor of the first 5,000 copies that were printed in 1830, we are going to give out 5,ooo copies from now until 26 June. The next day, all the families of the stake will hold a Family Home Evening about Joseph and Hyrum Smith, on the 161st anniversary of their deaths. Then at 8:00 p.m., we'll kneel in prayer and pray for "gratitude and appreciation for the life of the Prophet, the Restoration and organization of the Church, and the publication of the Book of Mormon" (taken from the info we got from last night). We'll also pray for those who received a copy of the book that they'll read it and gain a testimony of it. So we'll see how this works out.

No comments: