Image hosting by Photobucket Image hosting by Photobucket

Note:

Names of people I know have been changed to respect the privacy of those involved. Unless they say it's okay, or I see elsewhere.

Sunday, June 27, 2004

160 years...

Today is the sexticentennial (is this a real word?) of the deaths of Joseph Smith and his Brother Hyrum. One hundred and sixty years ago today was the day that Hyrum, being shot first, exclaimed, "I am a dead man!" and Joseph, jumping out of the window to lead the mob away from the others, said simply, "O Lord, my God!".
I have always been grateful for what he has done in bringing back to earth the greatest gift known to man, second only to the life of Christ and His death and resurrection so that all may live again. I am grateful to Joseph Smith for being curious enough to ask sincerely what he should do in that grove of trees so long ago.
Our stake youth went to youth conference in Nauvoo this year to do baptisms in the temple that has been restored there. I have been to Nauvoo many times myself over the years. As a matter of fact, I am going again with my family to see the last City of Joseph pageant this year. My parents were there the first year that the pageant started, and they intend to be there for the last. But it will most certainly not be the last time I go to Nauvoo. I hope to be able to go again and do sacred work in the Lord's house that has been restored there.
To read more about the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum, go to Section 135.
"My God, how great Thou art!"

No comments: